Positive thinking helps with pretty much everything. It can bring an inner calm, increase success, enhance relationships, improve health, and in general make day to day affairs more manageable and make life look brighter.
While positive thinking is a huge piece of the puzzle, you also need to develop an overall positive attitude toward life and take the necessary actions to ensure you success instead of just waiting for things to happen. Positive thinking that actually brings about results requires a complete mental attitude adjustment, not just a few moments of positivity sprinkled over a generally negative or fearful outlook on life.
Here are a few actions and tips to help you develop the power of positive thinking:
- Use positive words in your thoughts and speech – “it is possible” or “I can” or “it will happen”
- Disregard, ignore, or push out of your mind those negative thoughts – instead replace them with constructive thoughts. For example, instead of thinking “This is too hard, I can’t do it,” think instead “This is a challenge that I am ready to face.”
- Visualize your success before starting anything.
- Read uplifting or positive quotations or stories as much as possible.
- Watch inspiring movies or TV shows that make you laugh.
- Minimize your exposure to the news – yes, of course it is important to be aware of current affairs, but you probably don’t need to hear about the same negative news story on the radio, on the TV, on the internet, and in the paper, in addition to discussing it with friends and co-workers.
- Surround yourself with positive people and rid yourself of negative relationships.
- Improve your posture – you will not believe how standing and sitting with your back straight will improve your confidence and positivity.
- Engage in some sort of physical activity to get those endorphins flowing!
- Fake it ‘til you make it. Even if you are not sure about being positive all the time, just try it! It is just like when you paste a smile on your face – eventually it will turn into a real one.